Saturday, June 23, 2012

VEGAN CAVI-ART VS CAVIAR


VEGAN CAVI-ART VS CAVIAR
For those of you who know me, you know that I am a strong supporter of sustainable, cruelty free food sources, a part of the slow food movement and in love with anything Artisan. Last night I did a taste test with my friends. I made some of my favorite appetizers and did a little switch.  In the past whenever I tried to get my partner to eat vegetables her exact words “you mean green stuff…NO way” so to say a dish is vegan is the kiss of death with her. I was also amazed to learn that a lot of my friends felt the same way. So last night was an ALL VEGAN night of appetizers by surprise. They all thought that they were eating caviar. They were a hit and everyone truly loved them. The best part is that Cavi-art is made with seaweed that looks and tastes like lumpfish caviar, will not discolor my dishes like real caviar, can be served hot or cold, is cholesterol free, low fat and salt, and has no AZO colors and best of all it is fish friendly and good for the environment! I know this sounds like an advertisement but I know how hard it is to get some of my friends to try something that is vegan. For my vegan friends I know you will love these.

As always enjoy!
Avocados and Pastry Puffs
Ingredients:
2 avocados
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (see recipe below)
2 tablespoons black Cavi-art
½ teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch of salt and pepper
Directions:
Mash avocados and mix with the other ingredients. Fill precooked pastry shells and your done!
Stuffed Avocados
Ingredients:
2 avocados
2 tablespoons salmon Cavi-art
1 & ½ tablespoons orange red Cavi-art
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
1 pinch grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon mild chili sauce
Soy Protein:
¼ cup soy protein strips
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt (I used chili flavored)
2 tablespoons beet juice (optional)
1 tablespoon algae (optional)
Mayonnaise:
¼ cup soymilk
½ tablespoon mustard
½ cup grapeseed oil
1 pinch sea salt
¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
Directions:
Bring water with beet juice, salt and algae to a boil, add soy strips, let simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool and press out most liquid. Cut into smaller pieces.

In a blender mix soymilk, mustard and salt while blender is running add oil little by little then the vinegar and lemon juice. Mix the mayo with Cavi-art, dill, lemon peel, chili sauce and soy strips. Put the mixture in the fridge for an hour.

To serve, cut avocados in half, take out the pit and a little of the avocado meat to make more room for the filling. Fill with mayo mixture, garnish with salmon Cavi-art, dill sprigs and a lemon slice.

Credit to Nina Andersson, for recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment